Saturday, April 3, 2010

Sweet Melissa's


Choosing a restaurant in Decatur is tough. In a small area, there are a half dozen places that could make me feel happy and full. Just walk past the array of them and the aromas will drive you to open a door and order.

Today, I chose Sweet Melissa's.

When my family and I stepped in, I immediately sensed a problem. My family likes privacy, and that was obviously out of the question. The place was packed, and the tables were close enough together that conversations and company could easily be shared.

Upon selecting a table, our fears were assuaged. We realized that here, communal dining is the norm, necessary, and somehow right. From the name of the place, an obvious reference to the Allman Brothers, to the well worn floors and tables, and the modern day hippie attire and attitude of the servers, this place felt like home.

Well past brunch, this was definitely time to order lunch. I scanned the list of sandwiches, had a decision made, and then a server brought a breakfast dish to the table next to us. Quickly, the menu popped back open, and I selected a breakfast fit for a starving hippie.

I ordered the Goose's Delight omelet. Three eggs, bacon, ham, salami, pepperoni and cheddar jack. The omelet was incredible. The cheese had to be cut to eat it. The biscuit on the side was huge and real. No assembly line here. I could taste the flour.

Now if only I can convince them to open up for dinner....

Sweet Melissa's on Urbanspoon

No comments: